Saturday, January 08, 2011

Toasty

Today's project for my daughter and I was to construct a camping quilt from a kit I bought. The idea being that since the insulation keeps you warm by trapping warm air in the "loft" of the layers, then the part of a sleeping bag that you lay on isn't doing you any good, warmth-wise. Hence, the quilt.

The kit was supposed to take about 8 hours of work to finish. Cutting, pinning, sewing, more cutting, more pinning, more sewing, and so on. Luckily for me, Mookie has an industrial sewing machine (can you say 12 layers of denim?!?!?!) and tons of experience, so we actually finished in about five hours. It was definitely a two-person job.

It's rated for 40 degrees, and I'll definitely be testing that when it warms up a little bit. It weighs in at less than two pounds, which is music to my backpackin' ears.

I'm really looking forward to camping this year.

 
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »