Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Making Friends, The Presidential Way

So today Obama chided the metro D.C. area because schools closed for the weather.

"My children's school was canceled today because of what? Some ice."

Obama said his daughters -- Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7 -- pointed out that school in Chicago is never canceled.

"In fact, my 7-year-old pointed out that you'd go out for recess. You wouldn't even stay indoors," Obama says.

"We're going to have to try some flinty, Chicago toughness to this town."


Thank you, Mr. President, for letting me know that people from Chicago are too goddam stupid to stay home when the roads are icy. Not snowy, not sleety, but covered in fucking ice.

I never realized that flinty toughness was all it took to overcome the natural laws of physics, such as the ability to stop a vehicle (like a school bus) when it's riding on a layer of ice.

As for the kids going outside, it's probably because in Chicago they just can't get enough of America's Funniest Home Videos.

5 comments:

mapgirl said...

I went to work. Albeit slowly after cleaning the ice off my car for 20 minutes. It really wasn't that bad if you drive careful like you're supposed to do. (Apply brake generously BEFORE your tires hit the ice.)

I only wussed out the day before because I didn't want to clean off the poufy snow. It tends to get all over my clothes more than ice does.

Of course, I did leave work early before the 'sun' went down and the roads iced over again. That and to make sure the dog I'm sitting didn't pee in the house...

Ted said...

When I let the dog out yesterday morning, he slipped and fell twice while trying to pee.

I think only one guy actually made it out of our neighborhood yesterday morning, and he drives a heavily loaded company truck. If I didn't worry about banging up my vehicle, I'd just gun it and fishtail like a maniac up the icy roads too.

Anonymous said...

I have to give Maryland and Montgomery County credit--yesterday was about the best ice-removing job I have ever seen here.

Our dog had the same problem with the ice. I felt sort of guilty laughing at her, but her expression when she jumped off the porch and slid all the way to the fence was priceless.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget, Obama's flinty chirren are attending this school, so at $29K+ a year PER KID, he wants them to be there no matter what, which is so very frugal-minded of him.

Anonymous said...

But he is really from Hawaii - see here.

 
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »